Search This Blog

Thursday, August 18, 2011

How to Deal with Food Temptation

Food Temptation is everywhere when you’re on a Fitness/Nutrition Program; here are my tips about how to avoid giving in.    
1.       Know your trigger foods.
If you know that Cool Ranch Doritos are your weakness…(you know who you are J) then make sure you don’t have them in your house, car or work place.  If you cannot resist these tasty little bad boys make sure they are nowhere in sight, this will ensure that if you’re having a rough day that you don’t reach out for them. 

2.       Brush your teeth.
While this might seem a little weird, it works for me.  I carry a travel size toothbrush, toothpaste and mouthwash with me in my six pack fitness bag.  When I’m out and about  and I feel like I’m on the verge of  giving into temptation I go to the bathroom and brush my teeth.  I love having a clean mouth and always think about how terrible that brownie (or whatever it may be) will taste with my fresh breath.    Plus I have the added benefit of having white teeth! It’s a double win in my book!




3.       Drink your water.
I always carry around a gallon of water with me everywhere I go but if for some reason I can’t carry it with me I have my trusty bobble water bottle in my six pack fitness bag.  It has a filtration system on it so I can fill it up at the nearest drinking fountain and enjoy purified water anywhere I may be. 

4.       Avoid boredom.
Go outside and take a walk, go to the park,  go to the movies,  call up a girlfriend,  create a fitness vision board, paint your nails do whatever it is that YOU like to do to keep yourself busy so you won’t obsess over food.


5.       Reward Yourself.
Before I start any type of Fitness/Nutrition Program I write down about 10 non-food items  that I really... really want (manicure, facial, massage, new pair of shoes, etc.) .   I keep these in my fitness journal and after a week of clean eating and working out I reward myself on the weekend with one of these amazing treats.  Be honest with yourself though…if you had a nibble of a cookie during the week you cannot reward yourself.


 

I would love love looooove to hear about how you avoid food temptation.

2 comments:

  1. Great tips! When it gets REAL bad I hop in the car and take my dog for a drive. It makes the time pass and gets my mind off of munching on something I shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea....thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete